Over the last few month’s I’ve had conversations with several amazing mama’s who have great business ideas. They’ve considered starting a business but aren’t sure the time is right. Or they are dabbling with a passion on the side and can’t convince themselves it’s time to take the leap. Their biggest question for me has been this: “When do you know it’s time to turn that idea, that hobby, that passion, into a full-blown investment of your time and savings?” Well, the simple answer: “Yesterday.” Just do it. Make it happen because you will never know until you give it a go.
Now, I get the answer isn’t always that simple. There is always a risk to starting a business. Every case is different. But here are five reasons I think you should start now:
- Technology is your bestie. It’s amazing how much flexibility technology lends to a new business. Like many of you, I’m a busy mom chasing around a toddler. My priority is my daughter and I can’t swing 80-hour work weeks. The majority of my business communications happen online. I have flexibility to do business whenever, and whenever I need to. The internet is a wonderful thing.
- You don’t have to risk it all. Worrying about risk is totally understandable. Especially if your household is depending on two paychecks. Start your business on the side. Time will prove if it’s worth taking the leap into full-time.
- You are not alone. Women need a community now more than ever. Fortunately the community of mom entrepreneurs is amazingly large and incredibly supportive. Don’t believe me? Head over to HeyMama to see some amazing things moms are doing in the world. It’s truly incredible.
- Waiting won’t help. When I said start yesterday, I meant it. Your idea is probably right for right now. If you don’t succeed, that’s okay. I’m sure at that point you’ll already have a handful other ideas lined up!
- It will make you happy. Don’t wait until you’ve reached the stage of regret. If you don’t try, you will always question that decision. Building you own business is hard work. But there is so much gratification in building something and seeing it come to life.
In the days leading up to Little Nugget’s launch [SPOILER ALERT!], I’ve done a lot of reflecting on the past nine months of my life. This business has truly grown to become my second baby. The joys Little Nugget has brought to my life have far outweighed the tears. Back in June I was so scared to take that leap. But I’m so happy that I did. Now it’s almost time to share my baby with the world. Get ready mamas, you’re going to love it!